CFCG RESEARCH PROJECTS
Here we have posted summaries of all the CFCG research projects, both completed and ongoing. They are organized by research topic and can be viewed using the project menus for the topic areas of: Climate Data, Adaptation to Climate, Hybrid Zones and Adaptation, Species Projects, and Strategies for Gene Conservation. Some of these projects are part of AdapTree, a Large Scale Applied Project funded by Genome Canada, Genome BC, Alberta Innovates Bio Solutions, and the Forest Genetics Council of BC operating from 2011 to 2014.
CURRENT RESEARCH TOPICS
1. AdapTree: Assessing the adaptive portfolio of restoration stocks for future climates
- Using genomics to inform climate based seed transfer (AdapTree website)
- Mapping potential gene flow in pine and spruce (CFCG project summary)
- Evaluating the genome-wide effects of selective breeding on adaptive diversity in reforestation seedlots for future climates (CFCG project summary)
- Understanding the genomic impacts of hybridization in interior spruce (CFCG project summary)
- Assisted gene flow to facilitate local adaptation to climate (Aitken and Whitlock 2013)
2. Climate BC & Climate WNA
- Visit the Climate BC/Climate WNA website for the newest updates and publications.
3. Assessing climatic variability and implications for forest management
- Trajectories of climate change in British Columbia: Investigating climate variability, differentiation, and novelty using the Biogeoclimatic Ecosystem Classification (CFCG project summary)
4. Range limits and gene flow in a warming world
- Range expansion and adaptation of Sitka spruce (CFCG project summary)